HAVANA, April 4th Daily monitoring applied by the Ministry of Public Health (MINSAP) yielded 36 new cases of coronavirus in Cuba at the close of this Thursday, April 2, and there were no new deaths.
With the new data, the list of infected by SARS-Cov-2 on the Island amounts to 269 and deaths remain at six.
Of the 36 new confirmed cases, 35 Cubans and a foreigner of Chinese nationality was diagnosed.
Regarding Cubans, five had a source of infection abroad: Spain (3), Haiti and the United States (1 each), 26 were contacts of confirmed cases and four were in contact with travellers from abroad.
Their places of residence by provinces and municipalities is as follows:
- Pinar del Río: 5 (3 from Pinar del Río municipality and 2 from Consolación del Sur, Camilo Cienfuegos community)
- Artemisa: 4 (2 from Artemisa municipality, 1 from San Antonio de los Baños and 1 from Mariel)
- Havana: 7 (3 from Marianao municipality, 1 from Playa, 1 from Diez de Octubre, 1 from Plaza de la Revolución, 1 from Cotorro)
- Matanzas: 1 (Jovellanos Municipality)
- Villa Clara: 2 (1 from Cifuentes municipality, and 1 from Santa Clara)
- Sancti Spíritus: 2 (2 from Taguasco municipality)
- Ciego de Ávila: 6 (2 from the municipality of Ciego de Ávila; Baraguá, Venezuela, Majagua and Florencia presented 1 each)
- Camagüey: 2 (from Camagüey municipality)
- Holguín: 4 (from Holguín municipality)
- Santiago de Cuba: 3 (2 from the municipality of Santiago de Cuba and 1 from Contramaestre)
The number of hospitalized now amounts to 3,241 patients, of which 1,518 are suspects. It stands out that the number increased by 1,101 cases more than reported yesterday.
Another 26,587 people are under primary healthcare surveillance in their homes.
Asked about the populations or risk groups for the disease on the island, Dr. Francisco Durán, national director of the epidemiology of MINSAP, said this morning that “10% of the Cuban population suffers from diabetes,” figures that vary by region, age and taking into account other factors.
“30% of Cubans suffer from hypertension and 23.7% of our population from bronchial asthma,” he said.
He also assured that of the top 10 causes of death on the island, nine are due to chronic non-communicable, cardiovascular, malignant tumours, cerebrovascular, and kidney diseases and that these diseases have a group of risk factors as antecedent.
So far, MINSAP reported one evacuee and 15 discharges (two more yesterday). Of those who are kept hospitalized for COVID-19, six patients are in critical condition and two in serious condition.
Dr. Durán did not specify whether rapid tests have continued to be carried out on a massive scale in risk groups after it was announced this Thursday that they had been carried out among 18,849 persons, of whom 15 were positive and have undergone a new PCR test for more conclusive results.
The island is in a pre-epidemic phase due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to the government, which has taken measures such as the closure of schools, the restriction of activities in non-essential sectors or the suspension of public events, among others.
Although total house confinement has not yet been decreed, quarantine has been established in two areas, in Havana and Pinar del Río.
Commercial and charter flights to its airports were also suspended and the withdrawal of foreign vessels from its waters was decreed.
Although non-residents could no longer enter Cuba since a week ago, there are still 19,387 tourists on the island, of whom 12,255 are foreigners and 7,162 Cubans with usual residence in other countries.