HAVANA, April 12 (Xinhua) — Cuba will maintain contact with Kenyan authorities in search for the two Cuban doctors who were kidnapped earlier in northeast Kenya by suspected al-Shabab militants, the Cuban government said Friday.
In an official release broadcasted by Cuba’s state-run TV, the authorities said the Cuban government has created a working group to follow the “sensitive issue” and will keep the families of the two victims informed.
The two Cuban doctors — general physician Assel Herrera Corea and surgeon Landy Rodriguez Hernandez — were abducted by a group of gunmen earlier Friday during a road ambush in Mandera town in northeast Kenya near the Somali border.
The attackers also shot dead one of the two police officers who were guarding the medics during the attack.
Kenyan authorities suspected the attackers are members of the Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab and believed the two victims have been taken to the neighbouring country.
The two doctors are among 100 Cuban specialists who arrived in Kenya in June 2018 under a bilateral arrangement between Kenyan and Cuban governments.