HAVANA, Octy. 16th Trump has alleged Cuba is “responsible” for a series of unexplained events that injured nearly 22 U.S. government officials in Cuba.
Trump has accused Cuba alleging the South American country was “responsible” for a series of unexplained events that injured nearly 22 U.S. government officials in Cuba over the course of a year.
The U.S. president didn’t provide any evidence but went on to implicate Cuba at a 45-minute Rose Garden news conference at the White House.
“I do believe Cuba’s responsible. I do believe that,” Trump asserted. “And it’s a very unusual attack, as you know. But I do believe Cuba is responsible.”
The accusation comes after both the U.S. and Cuba have removed nearly 60 percent of their officials from Havana and Washington respectively over the past few weeks following the news of 22 U.S. officials being “medically confirmed” to have suffered some injury from apparent high-pitched sounds. Cuba, however, called the U.S.’ decision to pull out over half of its diplomats from the island nation’s capital as “hasty.”
On Saturday, the U.S. released a series of recordings that were sent to the US Navy and to the intelligence services from Havana, with advanced capabilities for analysing acoustic signals, according to Associated Press.
The incidents described as “sonic attacks” first came to light last year, but the U.S. government that hasn’t been able to determine the cause or the exact nature of the events had refrained from accusing the Cuban government in the past. The incident has further embittered the diplomatic ties between the two countries who have a long history of tumultous relations.
In September, the Cuban Ambassador to the United States, Jose Cabanas, also condemned the Trump administration at the UN General Assembly for rekindling animosity between United States and Cuba by reinforcing the blockade on the Caribbean country. Cabanas said the embargo has lead to “humanitarian and economic hardships” that are “extraordinary and growing.”
The Trump administration, so far, hasn’t issued a statement implicating Cuba in the alleged attacks. Ben Rhodes, Barack Obama’s foreign policy adviser, pointed out in a statement he made on Twitter.
“Trump’s own State Dept has not said this – has gone out of their way to say they don’t know who is behind attack,” Rhodes said.